All massage therapy treatments are performed by our certified massage therapist Laura Germanio OTR, RYT, LMT, CLT.
Medical Massage is a type of massage therapy that is performed with the goal of treating or managing a specific medical condition. The therapist performing the massage has additional training in anatomy, kinesiology and pathology of the human body in order to address each client’s individual needs.
- Common physical conditions treated include: scoliosis, herniated or bulging disks, muscle strain, joint pain, rotator cuff pathology, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, frozen shoulder, plantar fasciitis, headaches, and impaired circulation.
- Medical Massage can be a vital part of pain management: fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome, osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, chronic back, neck or shoulder pain, sciatica, TMJ, Knee or hip pain, pre and post natal back pain.
- Medical Massage is also an effective modality in the treatment of psychological or emotional conditions: depression, insomnia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety, addiction recovery, and grieving.
- Massage therapy is an excellent addition to the management of chronic conditions: Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, degenerative joint disease, cerebral palsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, restless leg syndrome, diabetes, scoliosis, cancer treatment, seasonal allergies, constipation.
Laura holds a specialized certification in the management of conditions related to edema and swelling. This may include Lymphedema, chronic venous insufficiency, post traumatic or post surgical swelling. These conditions are treated with a specific pattern of Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) massage, compression wrapping, muscle pump exercise and the use of compression garments when appropriate.
The Overall Benefits of Massage include:
- Effective relaxation for the body and mind
- Improved circulation
- Decreased muscle tension and stiffness
- Decreased recovery time after injury
- Stress reduction
- Improved flexibility and range of motion
- Encourages deep breathing
- Improved posture
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved energy
Modalites incorporated into the Massage Therapy Session:
Any of the following modalities may be used during a massage therapy session based on the needs of each client and the condition that is being addressed.
- Range of Motion
- Thermal treatments: Heat or Ice
- Herbal salve or lotion
- Aromatherapy with pure Essential Oils
- The Graston Technique: Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization
- Trigger point therapy
- Relaxation training through breath coaching and deep breathing
- Scar massage
- Lymphatic drainage
- Abdominal and digestive massage sequence
- Self massage training
Medical massage does not require a doctor’s script, however a doctor’s approval may be required (depending on your medical history) by the therapist to ensure that treatment is appropriate at this time. This is especially important following surgery or cancer treatment in order to confirm any restrictions or contraindications that must be observed during treatment.
Normally massage therapy is subject to NJ sales tax at 7%. Clients that obtain a script for massage therapy as a treatment for a specific medical condition will not pay sales tax on the treatment. Please note that each script has an expiration and will require an updated script periodically to maintain this benefit.